Johann Gevers CFA CA BCom BSc BA
Founder and Driver, Crypto Valley ecosystem
Founder and CEO, Monetas
Founder and President, Tezos Foundation
Founder and President, Digital Finance Compliance Association
Co-Founder and former Board, Bitcoin Association Switzerland
Rated Top 100 finance leader in Switzerland
Johann is an entrepreneur and a visionary thought leader in fintech and regulatory reform.
He is the founder and driver of Crypto Valley, the world’s leading cryptofinance ecosystem in Zug, Switzerland. He is founder and CEO of Monetas, an award-winning transaction platform that brings the world’s most advanced financial and legal services to everyone with a mobile phone, including the world’s billions of unbanked and underbanked adults. He is founder and president of the Tezos Foundation, founder and president of the Digital Finance Compliance Association, and co-founder of the Bitcoin Association Switzerland.
Johann is rated as a Top 100 finance leader in Switzerland. His talks The Four Pillars of a Decentralized Society and The Age of CryptoFinance have been influential in the decentralized technologies and fintech spaces. He has served as strategic advisor to companies across diverse industries, including award-winning technology startups.
Johann’s mission is to build essential infrastructure for a free and prosperous society.
Monetas explained in 3 minutes: Video interview at CeBIT 2016
The Age of CryptoFinance — How CryptoFinance Will Transform the World
The Four Pillars of a Decentralized Society
The Future of Finance
My mission is to build essential infrastructure for a free and prosperous society. I believe cryptofinance presents us with a unique opportunity to dramatically improve the quality of life of people everywhere — see Why Monetas is a Powerful Force for Improving the World and The Age of CryptoFinance — How CryptoFinance Will Transform the World.
- In 2012 I founded Monetas to bring the world’s most advanced financial and legal services to everyone with a mobile phone, including the world’s billions of unbanked and underbanked adults. Our open and extensible technology enables consumers, businesses, and institutions to trade all types of assets, currencies, and instruments across devices, providers, and borders with matchless security, efficiency, and performance. Monetas’ mission is to develop technologies that enable everyone to live in freedom and to generate limitless prosperity — see Monetas Overview. Monetas has achieved a series of recognitions, including: winner of the Swisscom Startup Challenge, one of the Top 7 cryptofinance startups in EMEA / one of the Top 21 globally, and one of the 50 hottest fintech companies in Europe.
- Successfully realizing the promise of cryptofinance requires a vibrant ecosystem of talented entrepreneurs, deep pools of capital, world-class engineers, and expert service providers, underpinned by supportive government and a friendly regulatory environment.
In May 2013 I developed the vision for Crypto Valley as a global hub for crypto technologies modeled on the success of Silicon Valley. In July 2013 I identified Zug, Switzerland as the ideal location and started building the Crypto Valley ecosystem by developing supportive relationships with the authorities, attracting leading crypto startups, helping them setup their operations, developing an ecosystem of expert professional service providers, driving the development of a friendly regulatory environment, and promoting Crypto Valley in the industry and the media.
With the broad support of numerous individuals, startups, corporates, service providers, industry associations, educational institutions, governments, and regulators, Crypto Valley has grown into a thriving ecosystem and vibrant community, attracting world-class talent, dozens of companies, and billions of dollars in investment. Industry leaders including Ethereum, Tezos, Xapo, ShapeShift, Bitcoin Suisse, Monetas, and many others now call Crypto Valley home.
In July 2016 the city of Zug became the first government in the world to officially accept bitcoin payments. In July 2017 the city of Zug announced that it would become the first government in the world to offer blockchain-based digital identities to its citizens. Crypto Valley is now one of the world’s leading ecosystems for crypto, blockchain, and distributed ledger technologies.
- The cryptofinance industry can only thrive within a clear, business-friendly legal framework. In 2014 I founded the Digital Finance Compliance Association (DFCA) to spearhead the development of such a framework. The DFCA has made excellent progress — our proposals are increasingly shaping the direction of discussion and regulation in Switzerland and worldwide.
- To help nurture the Swiss cryptofinance community I co-founded the Bitcoin Association Switzerland in 2013, and help organize cryptofinance meetups and events in Crypto Valley and beyond.
- A decentralized financial system is a key pillar of a free society, but there are three important additional pillars — see The Four Pillars of a Decentralized Society. Monetas is focused on decentralized finance. To help advance decentralized law, I am developing key foundational elements of a new legal system for a free society — see the description under Institute for Freedom below.
These are ambitious, generational projects that I plan to devote the rest of my life to. We live in an incredibly exciting time in history. Never before have we held such power to positively transform the world.
Past projects include:
- Took Future Cities Development from idea to operational company in three months. Helped define vision, mission, business model, and strategy. Developed valuation model for a new kind of company — a country startup — validated by Goldman Sachs consultant. Developed contract template that advances the state of the art, validated by top international law firm. Negotiated legal contracts with billionaire investors in successful USD 1 million seed funding round. Researched and implemented best practices and best-of-breed solutions across the corporate infrastructure: jurisdictions, incorporation, banking, legal, collaboration infrastructure, security, technical support, organizational systems, recruiting, and compensation framework.
- At the Institute for Freedom, developed foundational elements of a new legal system for a truly free, just, and prosperous society — a society that works for everyone — based on the insight that individual sovereignty forms the essential basis of community and civil society. At the core of the system is a new, precise formulation of the Golden Rule:
Every person is sovereign, except to the extent that a person has violated the sovereignty of another person, and has not yet made full restitution to that person, thereby restoring the integrity of the injured person as well as the sovereignty of the injurer.
This principle of individual sovereignty (which I’ve named The Freedom Universal), combined with innovative choice of law and choice of forum provisions, enables a system of highly adaptive social organization.
- Advised Smart Action from conception to commercialization, on strategy, business plan, intellectual property, legal contracts, computer security, communications and collaboration infrastructure, website, valuation model, and investor presentation. Company successfully commercialized product in 2009 — clients include Fortune 100 companies.
- Developed artificial intelligence forecasting and optimization solution for greenhouse farm. System bested existing methods 89% of the time — reduced variances to less than 10% from over 25%. Analysis revealed unexpected factors impacting crop yield — enabling improved control, higher yield, and lower costs.
- Performed global macro investment analysis and long-term portfolio recommendations for trust company and recommended purchase of precious metals in early 2009 when gold was trading at $900 and silver at $13. Within three years, gold exceeded $1,800 — a 100% return, and silver exceeded $40 — a 208% return.
- Re-engineered business systems and work processes for graphic design agency, driving a 40% productivity improvement. Cut expenses more than 30% by improving procurement systems and controls. Restructured loans to reduce cost of borrowing. Reduced sales tax bill 75% through little-known exemption.